An operator on a forklift course will be given any ten questions from this bank of twenty six. This represents 20% of the marks available.The correct answers here are shown here.
1. Name 4 main safety checks you would make before loading or unloading a flatbed or curtainsider lorry.
A. Lorry brakes or wheels chocked
B. Lorry bed condition, width, height, level and curtains out of the way
C. Lorry driver where is he/she and what is required
D. A support stand is positioned on an unsupported semi trailer
2. Give 4 reasons why it is important to carry loads up to the heel of the forks.
A. To keep the load centre as far back as possible
B. To maintain truck stability
C. Maintain load stability against the fork arms and carriage/load guard
D. Keep the truck and its load as short as possible for confined spaces
3. Give 4 reasons why a lift truck can tip over sideways (lateral instability).
A. Turning too fast
B. Load oﬀset
C. Uneven load
E. Forks not evenly spaced
F. Side sloping ground
G. Turning with mast/load raised
H. Turning on an incline
I. Live load
4. A truck’s rated capacity is 1800kg at 500mm load centre (LC).
You have a load of 33 bags weighing 50kg each and a pallet weighing 30kg. The pallet measures
1200mm x 1000 mm. Can you safely handle this pallet heeled up in either direction? Please explain your answer.
A. Total load = 1650kg + 30kg = 1680kg at 500 LC. The truck can lift 500mm load centre, but taking into account the additional 100mm load centre, the truck cannot handle the pallet at that longer load centre as the rated capacity of the lift truck at 600mm LC is 1500kgs (1800kg x 500mm ÷ 600mm = 1500kg)
5. Give 4 examples of places where you should not park an industrial lift truck.
A. In or near doorways
B. Near switches and electricity boards
C. Near firefighting equipment
D. Blind corners
F. Loading bays
G. Wet or muddy areas
H. Soft ground or generally in the way of others
6. Name 4 different types of ground surfaces or conditions a lift truck operator could encounter.
C. Icy or greasy
D. Very smooth/rough
E. Loose surface
F. Sloping or inclined
G. Railway tracks or gullies
H. Speed bumps