Tips for searching site

site links


Complete Powerpoint slide presentation for forklift instructors. Ready made training course

Using a health and safety consultant or adviser

competent personUsually, managing health and safety isn’t complicated and you can do it yourself with the help of your workers. You know your workplace best and the risks associated with it.

If there’s a competent person within your workforce, use them in preference to a competent person from outside your business. You may need help and advice from someone outside if your business:

If you use a consultant or adviser from outside your business make sure they are competent, suitable and that you will get the help you need. As the employer, managing health and safety will still be your legal duty, even if you use someone from outside your business.

Competence and suitability

You must make sure the consultant or adviser you use is competent and suitable. It’s not uncommon for employers to spend a lot for advice that doesn’t help them comply with health and safety law, so it pays to source good quality advice. Make sure they:

Establish what help you need

They should help you to better manage health and safety for yourself. Unless you’re clear about what you need, you probably won’t get the right help. Ask yourself if you need help with:

Explain clearly what you need and ask them to confirm what they'll do and when they’ll do it. If you just need a one-off visit to enable you to manage health and safety in-house, be clear at the outset to avoid tying yourself to a long contract. Their advice should:

Make sure they'll provide a proper handover to help explain the key risks and controls recommended. If you do not think they’ve provided you with a practical, sensible solution to your problem, ask for an explanation and see if there’s a simpler alternative.

Find a consultant>>

Disclaimer. The legislative information contained on this web site is my interpretation of the law based on many years in the health and safety business. A definitive interpretation can only be given by the courts. I will therefore not be held responsible for any accident/incident/prosecution arising as a consequence of anyone using any information obtained from this web site.

Translate this website